Interest in PNG artefacts is increasing. We love that each artefact has significance to the creator, representing the heritage of millenia, identifying a specific tribe and place. We admire the villagers’ business skill in trading their art. Where can we see these expressive masks, intricately carved story boards and beautifully crafted sculptures? In lockdown, only online.
- A wide range of video clips are at the bottom of this article.
- You can go to the British Museum, Art Gallery of NSW, the Australian Museum, the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art and many other institutions’ websites and search their collections for PNG artefacts.
- You can visit the websites of Australian traders:
- You can search the websites of prestigious auction houses.
- You can even find them on eBay!
Once out of lockdown, there are several places in Sydney you could visit: The Australian Museum, Oceanic Arts Australia in Paddington and the upcoming Sydney Oceanic Art Fair November 6 at the National Art School in Darlinghurst. There are also private collectors in Sydney who may give private viewings. Continue reading PNG ARTFACTS, WHERE TO FIND THEM? : WE HAVE SOME SUGGESTIONS