Indigenous artists from around Australia are set to come together on 3-4 July 2021, for the third National Indigenous Art Fair– a two-day art market and program of events in celebration of NAIDOC Week, taking place in The Rocks, Sydney, at the Overseas Passenger Terminal.
The National Indigenous Art Fair (NIAF) is an ethical marketplace, offering a unique opportunity to buy artworks directly from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists from remote community-owned art centres from the Northern Territory, South Australia and Western Australia including:
- APY Art Centre Collective (Amata, APY Lands SA)
- Arlpwe Artists Aboriginal Corporation (Ali Curung NT)
- Artists of Ampilatwatja (Ampilatwatja NT)
- Arts Ceduna (Ceduna SA)
- Ikuntji Artists (Haasts Bluff NT)
- Munupi Arts And Craft Association (Melville Island NT)
- Nayri Niara (Tasmania)
- Numbulwar Numburindi Arts + Durrmu Arts (Numbulwar Community NT)
- Spinifex Hill Studio (South Hedland WA)
- Tjanpi Desert Weavers (Alice Springs NT)
- Tjarlirli & Kaltukatjarra Art (Tjukurla Community WA
- Wangaba Roebourne Art Group (Roebourne WA)
- Warlukurlangu Artists (Yuendumu NT)
- Warnayaka Art & Cultural Aboriginal Corporation (Lajamanu NT)
- Wei’Num Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Arts and Crafts Corporation (Qld) With more to be confirmed.
In the spirit of the 2021 National NAIDOC theme Heal Country, Heal our Nation, the event will also feature a vibrant program of live music and Aboriginal dance performances, an Indigenous sculpture walk, weaving circles and more than 25 Blak Markets stallholders from around New South Wales selling art, jewellery, gifts, homewares, and Indigenous bush food and plants.
NIAF 2021 follows the successful 2019 fair, which hosted 30 remote art centres from the Northern Territory, South Australia and West Australia, 25 Aboriginal stallholders from around New South Wales, and attracted 10,000 visitors over two days.
Event: National Indigenous Art Fair
Date: Saturday 3 July – Sunday 4 July 2021
Time: 10am – 5pm (Saturday) and 10am – 4pm (Sunday)
Location: Overseas Passenger Terminal, 130 Argyle St, The Rocks, Sydney Entry: Gold coin donation
Featured image : Phyllis Briant, Sharon Ken & Anistine Ken. Photo courtesy of Tjala Arts